As you know, I am spoiling my children preparing the food of their choice now that they are home. Today is Ricky’s turn. He loves italian food, but his favorite is risotto. So after a long hard training ride he refuels with carbs. By the time he gets home, dinner will be ready as a great surprise! I’m preparing a Red Wine Risotto, so delicious, my mouth melts. This dish can be served as a side or as a main course. It is vegetarian, gluten-free and most important, it is full of flavor.
Here is Ricky (in the middle) last season in Italy.
RED WINE RISOTTO
1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
1 Bundle of Asparagus
1 Package of Mushrooms
1 14g bag of dried mushrooms
4 Cups of water room temperature
1 1/2 Cups of red wine
Salt to taste
- Chop the onion
- In a high-sided pan heat the oil
- On high heat sauté the chopped onion until it becomes translucent
- Add the rice and stir for 2 minutes
- Lower the heat to medium. Add one cup of water stirring occasionally and let the rice absorb it. It will take about 3 minutes
- Add the next cup of water stirring occasionally and let the rice absorb it. This time it will take about 5 minutes
- Repeat this procedure for the remaining 2 cups of water. Meanwhile, slice the mushrooms and cut the asparagus in 2 inch long pieces.
- When all the water is absorbed, add the wine and the vegetables (mushrooms, dried mushrooms and asparagus)
- Stir occasionally and add salt to taste
So good! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!