After all the Christmas Festivities and before New Year’s Eve, I have the perfect dinner for you, Red Quinoa Beet Pear Salad. This recipe will give you a little break from all the heavy dinners you’ve been having. It’s light and healthy, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, low fat and of course: delicious!
My Christmas was wonderful. I had a very nice time with my family. Family time is always precious to me. I don’t see them very often, so I treasure these moments very much. At my mother in law’s we share a phrase or paragraph that means something special to us. This sharing is very enriching because we learn a lot from each other. The phrase that I shared is from Saint Francis of Assisi:
“Start with what is necessary, then with what is possible and soon you’ll be doing the impossible”
I think this phrase is very powerful because sometimes we are so focused on our final goal and we see it so far away that we desist before we start. So I’ve been trying to put this philosophy in practice.
As for gifts, my children gave me the perfect one: an apron with the embroidery “Compartiendo mi cocina”. Loved it, so thoughtful!
RED QUINOA BEET PEAR SALAD
1/2 Cup red quinoa (dry)
2 Garlic cloves
3 Cups kale
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
2 Tablespoon apple cider vinager
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions
- In boiling water cook the beet. Iti will take about 45 minutes until the are soft
- Cut the onion in slices, smash the garlic, chop the pear in medium size squares and peel and chop into medium size squares the cooked beet.
- Give the kale a rough cop, take away the stems
- Heat one tablespoon of the olive oil. Saute the onion and garlic
- Add the kale and saute for one minute just until it turns bright green
- Put the contents of the pan in a salad bowl, add the beet, pear and quinoa
- Whisk 2 tablespoons of olive oil and one tablespoon of dijon mustard to make the dressing. Pour it over the salad bowl and combine.