I remember when I was a little girl coming home from school and finding out my mom had cooked this dish that I absolutely enjoy. It’s been a long time since I had it, and I just follow my instincts to make up this recipe. It was delicious! And brought me many very nice memories about having lunch with my family.
I remember my mom picking my little sister and I from school, stopping by the tortilleria (they barely exist anymore, you can buy them at the grocery store now). And just couldn’t wait to get home to have a rolled freshly made tortilla with butter. Then waiting for my father to come home and have lunch all together. As soon as my father came home, we all sat at our round table and just as my mother serve us all some lemonade to star eating, my little sister would spill it all over the table. My mother had to clean up the mess and we were still waiting to eat our delicious meal. Finally it was time to enjoy what my mother had prepared. I laugh now, but at the time I remember being frustrated to wait so long to have my meal just waiting and running all around the kitchen waiting for my father to come from the office. And this was our every day story.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
ARROZ CON POLLO (CHICKEN WITH RICE)
6 Chicken thighs with skin and bone
2 Small tomatoes
1/2 Jalapeño pepper
Small bunch of cilantro
1 Cup of rice
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
Salt and Pepper
- Heat the olive oil
- Brown the chicken thighs skin side down first until golden grown
- Turn the chicken thighs and let them cook for 4 minutes
- Pull out the chicken off the pan
- In the same pan fry the rice using the drips from chicken, stir for about 5 minutes until it is golden brown
- Blend tomato, onion, Jalapeño pepper and cilantro with 3/4 cup of water
- Return the chicken to the pan with rice
- Add the blender contents plus 1 cup of water
- Season with salt and pepper
- Cover turn the heat to low and let it cook for about 30 minutes or until the rice is cooked the water/salsa is absorbed