So I embarked myself into make sushi! It turned out to be very easy to make. I decided to make a vegetarian option with just fresh vegetables, carrots, jicama, cucumber, radishes and a hint of fresh ginger. The other option I made it with shrimp and avocado. I also used brown rice! Well, I had two judges (two of my children) and they loved them, so that means they were great!!
Serves 8 rolls (8 pieces each)
1 Cup brown basmati rice
8 Sushi Nori sheets
10 Shrimp cooked and cut in half longwise
2 Inches of fresh ginger
- Cook rice according to package instructions
- Prepare your vegetables, cut them Juliane style
- Grate the ginger
- Assemble, lay a nori sheet shiny side down over a sushi mat
- Take about 1/2 cup of cooked rice and gently press it over the nori covering it, leave the far end uncovered, about 1 inch
- Place the filling from side to side over the rice bed
- Roll the mat holding the filling and gently pressing, rasing the mat so it doesn’t roll into the sushi, keep rolling and pressing until all the nori is rolled up
- Let the roll rest for a minute or two before cutting
- Lightly moisten the knife before each cut.
- Each roll makes eight pieces
Enjoy with some soy sauce and if you like heat you may add some siracha to your soy sauce as well as some lime juice.